- Skype costing 36.5 billion$ annually for the global telecom industry.
- WhatsApp and WeChat has impacted the SMS revenues to fall down.
- Overall international voice calls are reduced due to skype and google hangout.
- Hope for indian telecom industry as most of the rural India still uses voice calls.
- Skype and Google Hangout impact the Over the Top (OTT) i.e. voice calls
- India ranking 5th, led by China, US, Brazil and Germany in the global user base. This has a high impact
- Though Voice calls are cheapest in India, there is a threat that data calls can take over the revenues.
- SMS revenue fallen to 3-5% (of overall revenue) compared to 7-8% of previous year.
- AppStore and Playstore dominated the operators apps that control the billing
Reference: “Apps May Prove to be a Drag on Teleco’s” – Economic Times 24th OCT 2013
- Google Hangouts vs Skype: Which is Cooler? (blogsitestudio.com)
- Google Plus Hangouts For iOS Gets Free Phone Calls (techweekeurope.co.uk)