The Obama’s visit last time in 2010 was to an extent beneficial. He announced a series of business deals worth more than 10 billion $ even though there was a declining trend in economy that time. Later, the bilateral relations between India and US were stalled in the last two years of UPA government because of Manmohan Singh’s inability to advance economic reform (due to various reasons). With few friends by the time he left the office, America was not happy with PM’s performance putting pressure to act tough on India.
Now that Modi is doing his best to advance the economic reforms, US is gaining the confidence back. His 5 day visit in September 2014 has induced feel good factor. Though there are still some challenges in the relations, for instance, the disagreement at the World Trade Organization over trade substitutes – unlike Singh, Modi has decade long track record of being a business friendly CM. This is a positive factor to US to advance in strong political relationships.
Obama’s Visit can benefit in the following with some actions being taken:
Energy and Climate Change:
India is eager to produce electricity from US built nuclear power plants.
White House stated: “increasing energy access, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and improving resilience in the face of climate change, President Obama and Prime Minister Modi agreed to a new and enhanced strategic partnership on energy security, clean energy, and climate change”
- Renew for ten more years the 2005 Framework for the U.S.-India Defense Relationship
- US to work together in military education and training
- Maritime security, especially important during the domination of China in Indian Ocean
High Tech and Space technologies:
- India’s is a strong contributor with the U.S. Department of Energy on high-energy physics and accelerator research and development. India is expecting US to partner with IIT’s
- Also the India is eagerly looking forward for the NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission, to be launched in 2021. Next steps to accomplish the mission can be discussed.